Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Jessica Hische Lecture

This was probably one of the most interesting and inspirational lecture I've heard this year here at Tyler.  Although I'm not that big into graphic design, I loved the style of Jessica Hische.  Hische is a young typographer and illustrator who graduated from Tyler, landed a huge first job in New York, and continued her career from there working for companies as big as Tiffany, Newsweek, and People Magazine.  It was so exciting to see a former Tyler student find out what she truly loved to do and successfully go after a career that she truly wanted.  I am so happy that I got to hear this speech because not only did she have some really good advice about life after Tyler and the business world, she also had some pleasing and entertaining work to see.  Her lecture introduced me to another world of font, and it was fascinating how Jessica was influenced by old font and said that lettering and being aware of what fonts are out there help you to figure out what goes with your style.  Perhaps my favorite quote/piece of advice Jessica said during the speech was to "never make very specific plans for what you want."  Overall I was thrilled to have went to the lecture because she gave insight on what life could be like for a former Tyler student and showed just how appealing font and typeface could be!

No comments:

Post a Comment